Upcoming and Recent:
Talks and Events
- “Law and New Media” Conference, The Huntington, San Marino, CA, Sept. 16-17, 2022.
- Panel speaker, conference organized by The University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China on “New Perspectives on the History of British Science from the 17th to the 19th Centuries,” May 29–30, 2022.
- Keynote lecture, “Camera Atmosphaera,” Interdisciplinary Nineteenth-Century Studies (INCS) conference: “Strata,” University of Utah, March 24-27, 2022.
- Panelist, “Salt, Silver, & the Arctic,” for the panel “Photography and Slow Violence,” College Art Association meeting, March 3, 2022.
- Panelist on Quantifying the Lethality of Firearms in Historical Terms, Oct. 21, 2021.
- “Gundamentalism,” in Modern American History, (Cambridge University Press, 2023)
- ““Over London at Night”: Gasworks, Ballooning, and the Visual Gas Field,” British Art Studies, Issue 22 (2022).
- “Visual Histories of Sex: Collecting, Curating, Archiving,” Radical History Review 2022 (142): 1-18.
- Roundtable Discussion: Ambivalent: Photography and Visibility in African History, The American Historical Review (Dec. 2021). [Free access]
Academic Awards and Research Fellowships
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation “Humanities for All Times” Awards $1,064,500 to Wesleyan University for its “Carceral Connecticut Project,” Exploring the Past and Contemporary Resonances of Slavery, Race, and Industrialization in New EnglandWesleyan University (Middletown, CT): Through the generosity of a Mellon Foundation “Humanities for All Times” award, Wesleyan is able to embark on a new project that explores – from interdisciplinary perspectives – the past and contemporary resonances of slavery, race, and industrialization in New England, through innovative curricula, engagement with … Read more
- Creative Campus Initiative AwardIn December 2021, I received a $3,600 award from the Creative Campus Initiative (CCI) committee to support two artists engaging with a new course to be offered soon. Titled, “Reenacting Justice: Documentary Theater Workshop on U.S. Guns and Gun Violence,” the course will be co-hosted by the Theater Department and co-taught … Read more
- Durham University Library Residential Fellowship, June 2022.
- Seidel Fellowship, The Science History Institute, Philadelphia, PA, February 2020.